User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who gets your vote in 2024?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conservatives

0 0%
  • Labour

13 72.22%
  • Lib Dems

2 11.11%
  • Green

0 0%
  • Reform

1 5.56%
  • SNP

1 5.56%
  • Some Celtic fringe joke party

0 0%
  • Other

1 5.56%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: General Election 2024: Gone on the 4th of July

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more candidates you stand the more you are allowed to spend on national promotional campaigning it seems, that might explain it somewhat.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    They'll all be paper candidates that do exist somewhere but didn't campaign. This is actually the most plausible reason for Sunak having called the election when he did, to stop Reform having time to get their shit together, although as it turns out they did alright.
    I think it kind of worked out the best for them. If they'd had more time, there would have been more closet Nazis taken on and outed.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I should be really concerned by Farage and co getting so many votes, I just remembered that he was literally doing cameos saying things like, and I quote:
    ""Remoaner big chungus has launched a military coup and only you can stop him, sign up to Nord VPN using the code amongus to beat the totally sus chungus", and it's actually pretty funny.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the feeling this Wes Streeting weasel is going to privatise the NHS in a time the Tories could only dream of.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't the argument always that any necessary reform of the health service would have to be done by Labour as they won't be immediately tarnished with SELLING IT TO AMERICA on the off chance that someone has a good idea how to make things better, unlikely as that might be?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sell sell sell. I won't rest until the last stethoscope is on ebay.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Sell sell sell. I won't rest until the last stethoscope is on ebay.
    Imagine thinking the NHS supplies staff with stethoscopes.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you get one when you leave medical school.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you buy your own. Cheap and cheerful ones which are useable are about £80, good ones are >£150 (edited down from £200, misremembered how much my last one cost).

We did get given one which Fisher-Price would've been ashamed of and had VAGIFEM written on it by a drug rep at med school. It was completely useless.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good that our current PM has a sugar daddy who buys clothes for him and his wife though. Glad we got the Tories out and really ended all the corruption and austerity.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've just taken it back to standard Tory capitalist corruption which is acceptable now given how far the previous mob took it. Just vile all round.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That all reads like industrial grade twaddle.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good use of the word 'Cabal' there when moaning about Corbyn being nobbled by anti-semitism complaints.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The left-left have properly dodged a bullet with Corbyn not getting in, it would have been a Truss-like reign and the end of the ideology for 100 years. As it is they might well get another crack after Starmer if they can find someone palatable.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the benefits of hindsight I would have voted for - probably even campaigned for - Wor Jezza had I known that the alternative was working ourselves into a shoot and building that disgusting Holocaust memorial.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Peston is remembering how to do his job now.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to Spikey's point about the media being a problem/almost pointless, it really is. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember him drilling through P&L's during the PPE/Covid contracts scandal.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was only once Starmer made Labour safe for capital (Corbyn was gone and it was clear his policies weren't going to be continued) that the press started to take a serious look at the Tories/Boris and start asking questions.

The Labour right were playing on easy mode the last year or so, it's funny watching them actually face some scrutiny now. It's also funny watching them tear each other apart already with factional squabbles - see the Sue Gray pay stuff - when those camps in Downing Street have no fucking ideological differences anyway.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sue Gray stuff was hilarious from a BBC perspective. Break a story which no one should really care about, but as she's a Woman it's perceived to be an argument against equality and they're forced to release a hasty follow up article justifying why they did it.

And back to Labour, I'm increasingly of the opinion that their approach to this budget has been moronic. It's fair enough not sugar coating the situation we're in, but to do so in the language they have when the budget was still 3 months away from the point they started using said language is just no good for anyone. Fair enough if you're saying that and the budget is a couple of weeks away, but we're still over 5 weeks from it now and it's just killing consumer and market confidence.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The winter fuel allowance stuff is completely amateur hour. How they've allowed it to be framed as old people shivering in their 1 bedroom, black mould infested tower block hellscapes, rather than - you know - not unnecessarily paying for the heating of the most wealthy demographic in the country, is beyond me. It's been a long time coming and the vulnerable are still getting it.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's absolutely insane. A few weeks ago my Facebook feed was full of 30 somethings all virtue signalling how pensioners will be freezing to death come Christmas. Yet my Tory-suppprting 72 year old father in law is in full support, saying he doesn't need it, so why should he be getting it?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cut-off should have been a bit higher though, shouldn't it?

If you're on the bare minimum pension but not getting pension credit, you're not particularly wealthy.

It should have been kept universal but clawed back from wealthy pensioners through tax. But these fuckers just love means testing.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two sets of pensioners I know personally who have moaned about it: one couple recently spent £600 on a pair of fucking gig tickets and the other just bought a £20k caravan

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given it's only saving £1.4bn and our overall annual expenditure is something like £1.2tn, it's a massive messaging own goal for something that will barely even touch the sides.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    The two sets of pensioners I know personally who have moaned about it: one couple recently spent £600 on a pair of fucking gig tickets and the other just bought a £20k caravan
    Boasis?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post

If you're on the bare minimum pension but not getting pension credit, you're not particularly wealthy.

It should have been kept universal but clawed back from wealthy pensioners through tax. But these fuckers just love means testing.
    It's a big "meh" from me. These fuckers have lived life on easy mode, bought up all the houses and/or sold everything that wasn't nailed down to China / Russia / The Saudis, leaving the country in the mess we currently find it. Well sorry. As a consequence you'll be paying for your own heating like the rest of us, Dorris. You can give your bus pass back while we're at it.

All of this stuff was put in place when the old were struggling. They're now struggling far less than everyone else on the whole. So fuck 'em. Age is a terrible way to identify need.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you only receive state pension and live in social housing then you should keep it. But, the percentage of pensioners who fall into that is probably pretty small from my knowledge of giving advice to the fuckers.

Most of the people who receive these benefits now will also be in receipt of some kind of final salary pension, the state pension, potentially a small pension pot and own their own houses as they bought them for peanuts 40 years ago.

You’d think from the reaction in the press they didn’t have a pot to piss in.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Given it's only saving £1.4bn and our overall annual expenditure is something like £1.2tn, it's a massive messaging own goal for something that will barely even touch the sides.
    Indeed. They also announced honouring the climate change payment to developing nations at the same time, just to double down on the terrible optics. It's a good job all the far right headline writers are in prison.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Government should be doing less giving money to people for random shit and more taking less money from people in the first place. All these 'programs' always end up a massive clusterfuck.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Government should be doing less giving money to people for random shit and more taking less money from people in the first place. All these 'programs' always end up a massive clusterfuck.
    We're experimenting with still taxing people a fortune but providing no services. It's a bold strategy, Cotton.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    If you only receive state pension and live in social housing then you should keep it. But, the percentage of pensioners who fall into that is probably pretty small from my knowledge of giving advice to the fuckers.

Most of the people who receive these benefits now will also be in receipt of some kind of final salary pension, the state pension, potentially a small pension pot and own their own houses as they bought them for peanuts 40 years ago.

You’d think from the reaction in the press they didn’t have a pot to piss in.
    What if you only received the state pension and rent privately? Surely you'd be worse off then than someone who only has the state pension and lives in social housing?

Obviously the pensioners you talk to as a financial advisor are the better off ones.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    It's a big "meh" from me. These fuckers have lived life on easy mode, bought up all the houses and/or sold everything that wasn't nailed down to China / Russia / The Saudis, leaving the country in the mess we currently find it. Well sorry. As a consequence you'll be paying for your own heating like the rest of us, Dorris. You can give your bus pass back while we're at it.

All of this stuff was put in place when the old were struggling. They're now struggling far less than everyone else on the whole. So fuck 'em. Age is a terrible way to identify need.
    Generationally they had it much easier than us, yes, and a lot of them are very wealthy or at least very comfortable. But there are still poor old people.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generationally they had it much easier than us, yes, and a lot of them are very wealthy or at least very comfortable. But there are still poor old people.
    This is correct. The well off ones will be relatively more well off than the next generation but poor people are still poor as fuck.

I wonder if pinhead has lived a sheltered life or something?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinhead works with the poor ones. The poor ones are still getting it. Keep up.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinhead lives off the poor.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinhead wants to eat the rich ones.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if you only received the state pension and rent privately? Surely you'd be worse off then than someone who only has the state pension and lives in social housing?

Obviously the pensioners you talk to as a financial advisor are the better off ones.
    You will still get the equivalent of housing benefit on top of your pension if you are renting regardless as your income would most likely be below the thresholds.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinhead works with the poor ones. The poor ones are still getting it. Keep up.
    The very poorest, yes. Those who are still poor but not quite the very poorest are not.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinhead wants to eat the rich ones.
    Lol, do you fuck.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, do you fuck.
    I absolutely do. Wealth inequality is the key issue of our time and it's only accelerating. The world would be a much better place if everyone with >£10 million in cash and assets dropped dead tomorrow. Especially the Boomer ones.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Boasis?
    Chris Stapleton.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, do you fuck.
    Only once he is done with the poor.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One winter left bebeh.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Chris Stapleton.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world would be a much better place if everyone with >£10 million in cash and assets dropped dead tomorrow. Especially the Boomer ones.
    Wouldn't that wipe out a lot of innovators, entrepreneurs and leaders? Would be interesting to see what impact that would have on civilisation.